[Foundation-l] a new free image!

Yonatan Horan yonatanh at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 19:50:09 UTC 2007

This reminds me of an idea I had that might not be feasible. Make a
commons-like project for fair use pictures that all wikipedias can use and
disable local uploads at all wikipedias. That way, only absolutely must fair
use pictures will be accepted (logos, stamps, pictures of historical events
that are unreplaceable, etc.) and there won't be fair use pictures of living
people and of other things for which fair use isn't a must. That way you
won't have all the inconsistencies with, for example, Spanish Wikipedia
users asking why en can use fair use pictures of, say, music albums while
they can't because they have local uploading disabled and only upload to
commons. This way you'd also get people who are knowledgeable in the area of
fair use and policies regarding fair use on wikipedia taking care of
pictures rather than different people having different views on different
projects. This way you'd also have one central fair use policy that is
consistent amongst all the projects which will take care of the whining as I
mentioned above and will also make sure that fair use that isn't really a
must isn't in use on other projects (from my personal experience, this is
what is going on on the Hebrew Wikipedia which currently has, IMHO, the most
lax fair use policies out of any other project). Of course the problem is
that you'd have to find people willing to monitor such a project, which you
might not find as readily available as people for a project such as commons
that deals with free content and there's also the hassle of starting up a
new project (which some may deem unnecessary).

-Yonatan