[Foundation-l] Status of Current MediaWiki Tools and Other Issues which affect the Foundation

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Sat Feb 24 22:50:53 UTC 2007

This is posted here for the foundation to consider rather than on
Wikitech as these issues affect the credibility of the Foundation.
Posts on these issues to Wikitech get ignored and/or are not responded
to at all.  I am writing this in response to requests to GFDL enable the
wikigadugi.org sites.  I am unable to complete the process at present
because of severe problems with MediaWiki and the Foundations dumps.   I
have an extensive set of tools for mirroring wikipedia and they work
very well, provided I spend a lot of needless time cleaning up after the
MediaWiki developers.

1.  The current Mediawiki releases have had breakage with importDump.php
since 1.7.  I have been unable to make any progress in getting
complete runs of the Foundation XML dumps to post without modification
to MediaWiki and/or writing programs to clean up NULL titles
and other problems with the dumps.  Bottom line is that the mediaWiki
software DOES NOT WORK with standard XML dumps provided by the
foundation AT ALL through its sites, despite the Foundation's clear
messages this is in fact the case.   This harms the reputation and
credibility of the Foundation.    It needs to be addressed and fixed.

2.  mwdumper does not import the dumps.  It processes the files and
NOTHING shows up in the database.  If these tools do not work, the Meta
pages discussing them should say so and the programs should be removed
and/or other alternatives suggested or a disclaimer should be placed
there that states this.  As it stands, the information is misleading and
results in a lot of folks wasting a lot of time trying to make tools
work which clearly do not.  I have found dozens of blog entries and bug
reports on these issues and the developers ignore them.

3.  The Foundation needs to ask Brion Vibber and the developers to
cease  posting dumps which are incompatible with MediaWiki releases and
which the developers KNOW do not work and force compliance of these
processes and mediaWiki compatibility.

In other words, I do not think its too much to ask that the XML dumps
posted by the Foundation work with the released MediaWiki versions.  It
needs to be mandated and complinace required.    At present, you almost
need a degree in advanced computer science to be able to fix this
stuff.  I have spent several weekends debugging Brion's PHP code and
writing programs to correct these issues just so I can run import on the
latest dumps.    It would be much nicer if this stuff just worked.

Posts and emails to Wikitech are typically ignored on a lot of these
issues.  They need to be elevated and corrected.

Jeff