[Foundation-l] Commons request for input: policy on automatic image replacement

teun spaans teun.spaans at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 11:51:33 UTC 2007

Basically I think it is a good idea to have some kind of automated warning
when a photo is superseded by a new version or renamed.

ad 1: I do not understand this
ad 2: It can also be safely done when the image is renamed (pls do! I run
into articles ruined because the images on commons get renamed!)
ad 3: only if they are technical identical, not if someone regards them as
indentical. As an obvious example, one person may view two pictures of the
Big Ben as identical, because they both show the Big Ben in the sunshine,
while another views them as different because ons is from the south, the
other from the north.
ad 4: It can imho be safely done when the new version is a technical upgrade
from the previous version, such as .svg instead of .png. There should be a
proces that makes sure that the conversion was a technical conversion, not a
new version from scratch, such as with (some of) the flags. Basically, this
is the responsibility of the uploader, but I would like to see some kind of
check by a second person.

If these conditions are met, I see no reason for a timedelay.
kind regards.

teun