[Foundation-l] Database dumps

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Thu Feb 22 12:55:00 UTC 2007

On 2/21/07, Annabel <annabel at wikipedia.be> wrote:
> It's not high priority, that's right, but you should also look at it
> from the users point of view. If a large  download breaks at 85%, then
> you have to redownload the whole file. I know that there download
> managers, but with bitorrent you have extra certainty for the validity
> of your file: every 1 MB or so, you have a MD5 hash, so corrupt
> downloads can not happen.
> Lowering the bandwith on the download server is just an extra advantage.

Agreed, which brings me back to my question.  Does anyone know of a
stable site which
will host the tracker server for us (for free)?

Anyone can host a bittorrent file - it doesn't have to be the WMF.  I
imagine there must be a site out there which hosts tracker servers for
free, but I actually can't find one that isn't geared toward piracy
(and therefore likely unstable).

If someone just goes ahead and sets one up, and gives the WMF the url
to link to, then no one can complain about priorities, cause it takes
5 seconds to add the url :).

Anthony