[Foundation-l] RfC: Draft licensing policy resolution

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 01:30:32 UTC 2007

On 21/02/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> In follow-up to previous discussion, here's the current draft of the
> resolution for an official WMF licensing policy. We would appreciate
> comments and suggestions.
>
> This is a DRAFT and not an invitation for any unusual deletion
> actions, nor an official announcement of any kind. :-)
>
> ==Applicable definitions==
> ; Project
> : the combination of a Wikimedia Foundation project, such as Wikipedia
> or Wikisource, and a language.

This excludes Meta, Species, wwwwikisource, MediaWiki, Foundation
wikis which don't have language versions. And did you notice you used
the word "project" in the definition of the word "project"? We have a
major ambiguity problem here. :)
Also excludes Commons but that seems covered below.

> # In addition, with the exception of Wikimedia Commons, each project
> community may develop and adopt an EDP. Non-free content used under an
> EDP must be identified in a machine-readable format so that it can be
> easily identified by users of the site as well as re-users.

Define 'machine readable format'. (Or maybe there is a definition I don't know?)

> # Such EDPs must be minimal.

Does this implu that the Board ultimately does discourage the use of
such EDPs? At the moment the Board seems quite neutral on them, or
even encouraging them to be adopted. I know I am not the only person
who would like to see the Board *discourage* the adoption of EDPs, and
even indicate a very slow movement towards banning them. And yes I
know that gets enWP all huffy... but there are people there who
dislike fair use too.

> #* The Foundation resolves to assist project communities in need of an
> EDP in the process of developing it. The General Counsel is directed
> to coordinate this process.

This is great. Put this in bigger font and re-emphasise to the
projects who are worried.

cheers
Brianna
user:pfctdayelise