[Foundation-l] RfC: Draft licensing policy resolution

jkelly at fas.harvard.edu jkelly at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Feb 20 19:57:19 UTC 2007

  Hi,

Quoting Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org>:
> # Such EDPs must be minimal. Whenever possible, content used under an
> EDP should be replaced with a freely licensed work if it carries
> equivalent information content. Media used under EDPs are subject to
> deletion if there is rough consensus that they lack an applicable
> rationale. They must be used only in the context of other freely
> licensed content, and may not be arranged in galleries.

  I suggest that this needs some additional discussion.  If en:'s experience is
typical, saying that replaceable unfree media is acceptable until it is
actually replaced, instead of being possible in theory to replace, reduces the
incentive to create or find free content considerably.  Further, I'd suggest
that the "burden of consensus" really needs to be that the unfree media is a
justifiable exception to our goal of producing free content.

  Additionally, the "gallery" phrasing strikes me as strangely specific.  en:'s
articles that are substantially galleries of unfree images tend to be formatted
using templates to recreate <.table> functionality, as opposed to using the
gallery tag.  Perhaps you didn't mean the gallery tag specifically, but it was
easy to read it that way.

                               Jkelly