[Foundation-l] Restriction on page movesinpt.wikipedia.orgThankyou

Titoxd@Wikimedia titoxd.wikimedia at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 06:11:31 UTC 2007

Well, this is a technical change to one site's configuration of a magnitude
similar to adding an extra namespace to a wiki. More technically, it means
modifying one wiki's LocalSettings.php file. I'm not entirely sure how
changing $wgAutoConfirmAge on pt.wikipedia.org will affect en.wikipedia.org,
for example. Technically, those settings are completely independent of one
another, as they reside on separate files. The only way one wiki's technical
requests affect everyone is when there is something *added* to MediaWiki,
and those effects are due to a new setting added to MediaWiki's
DefaultSettings.php file. As this isn't the case, since the functionality is
already there (that's the reason there's a four-day page-move restriction in
*all* Wikimedia wikis), changing it on one should not affect the other ones.
I'm not sure if Anthere's worry is that a setting of 45 days in pt: will
mean changing the setting to 45 days everywhere else, but if that is it,
then there is no reason to worry. Looking at the code, there is absolutely
no reason why the change would impact other wikis outside the Portuguese
Wikipedia.

Titoxd.