[Foundation-l] One week later and I am still blocked, nobody is doing a fucking thing

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Sun Feb 18 14:46:53 UTC 2007

Anthere wrote:
> Tim Starling wrote:
>> geni wrote:
>>
>>> You haven't told us the IP so there isn't really every much that can
>>> be done about it
>>>

>> I didn't really expect to get that level of cooperation out of him, so on
>> Wednesday when I was fixing this, I just looked up his IP addresses in the
>> recentchanges table (i.e. the checkuser data). Unfortunately there was no
>> obvious IP range that the ISP was using for proxies, so it's entirely
>> possible I missed some. I'll do another search of the logs now and see if
>> I can find some more proxies. Unfortunately given his present mood, it
>> will be rather difficult to tell whether I've found them all. Maybe I
>> should try to make contact with a calmer representative of the Thai
>> Wikipedian community. It's not really fair on them to leave this as it is
>> just because Waerth is being so unhelpful.
>>
>> -- Tim Starling
>

> I'll add that I do not think Tim should spend hours looking for an
> information, when someone has this information at hand and could save
> him (and consequently the whole project) time to do other tasks which
> are also much needed.

It's alright, it's done now. I found another 18 proxies and increased my
knowledge of awk along the way.

function inrange(s) {
        split(s, ip, ".")
        return (ip[1] == 61 && ip[2] == 91 && ip[3] >= 160 && ip[3] <= 191) ||
                (ip[1] == 203 && ip[2] == 144 && ip[3] >= 128 && ip[3] <= 144)
}

inrange($5) {
        printf("%-20s %s\n", $5, $13)
}

I ran a gigabyte of access logs through it and sorted the output, only
took about a minute. Awk is quite a neat language, maybe we should rewrite
MediaWiki in it ;)

-- Tim Starling