[Foundation-l] Mayflower: Wikimedia Commons media search

Tangotango tangotango at wikignome.net
Tue Feb 13 16:42:48 UTC 2007

Hi, this is a follow-up to my posts regarding "The Ideal Wiki
Software" on foundation-l, from late January.

I've uploaded my Wikimedia Commons image/media search tool, dubbed
"Mayflower",  to the toolserver; it's available at http://
tools.wikimedia.de/~tangotango/mayflower/.

Just to recap, this tool allows full-text searching of the Commons
database, returning a gallery-based results page, much like Google
Images and similar services. The main goal was to make a user-
friendly interface, so that even non-Wikimedians can take advantage
of it.

As I said back in January, I'm still interested in Brianna Laugher's
idea of making a gallery-based, full-text search feature available as
a MediaWiki extension, so that it can take advantage of the existing
MediaWiki search index and the stability of the main servers.

Any comments and/or suggestions would be most welcome.

(Sorry if this looks like an advertisement; I don't usually advertise
new tools, but I thought the foundation-l and commons-l communities
would be interested.)

Cheers,

Tangotango