[Foundation-l] precisions about the recent WMF "fair use" decision

Piero pierogra at libero.it
Mon Feb 12 01:44:27 UTC 2007

Gregory Maxwell ha scritto:
> However, this does not appear to be the case on itwiki:
> http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speciale:PuntanoQui/Template:Copyrighted
>
> Where very many of these images could have be recreated as free works
> by anyone.. many of them are even the works of wikipedians but they
> are not released as free content.

Ok, I think that we need to substitute all the "images with permission"
with "free content" images whenever it is possible, and I think we all
agree with it.
I believe that the problems are only for useful images that aren't
available with a free license (or that we can't create by ourselves,
there's a ton of that kinds of images even on it.wiki).

My doubt is: do we risk anything by uploading images with permission
that someone else on Wikipedia will tag as fair-use? I fear it won't be
legally acceptable (or at least who has given the permission will retire
it immediately) - I don't have an idea, since I'm not a lawyer.

piero tasso