[Foundation-l] precisions about the recent WMF "fair use" decision

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 23:08:48 UTC 2007

On 2/11/07, David Strauss <david at fourkitchens.com> wrote:
> Not only do I agree, but I believe a similar issue surrounds fair use.
> Accusations of U.S. centrism are indefensible when they're based on
> restrictive laws in non-U.S. countries.
>
> Now, that doesn't mean there aren't practical advantages to
> accommodating other countries' needs, but the lack of doing so is hardly
> "U.S. centrism."

The problem with that is the logical end point of that position is the
move the foundation and servers to Iran. There are a number of items
that are public domain in their home country but not in the US that we
as a result we do not accept. US laws are liberal in one area but in
others not so much.  Assuming shortest possible term sound recordings
in the US are protected for 20 years longer than they are in the UK.

--
geni