[Foundation-l] Use of logos within Wikimedia sites

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 11 19:16:39 UTC 2007

geni wrote:
> On 2/9/07, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Since we also have the benefit of an official Foundation logo, perhaps
>>the project logos can themselves be open-use.  What are the problems we
>>are trying to avoid, and what things that we want are being held back
>>due to licensing issues?
>>

> the foundation wishes to be able to raise money by lisenceing the use
> of the logo to third parties

yes.
Plus another reason: avoiding other parties to misuse the logo (such as
using it to promote a right wing encyclopedic website) and as such
damaging our image.

These two reasons (image and possibility to raise money) explain why the
Foundation will not put the logos under a free licence.

>>For the latter point, there is a joy of creativity and
>>project-identification when a WikiProject develops its own visual
>>identity, whether that is in the form of style guidelines, unified
>>template or infobox format, or icons and logos.  And there is a wider
>>remix culture around a project that is encouraged by incorporating
>>community icons into images and other media in innovative ways.
>>

> Community icons yes. The logo no unless you ask permission.

There is now a community logo.

ant