[Foundation-l] Use of logos within Wikimedia sites

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 04:30:26 UTC 2007

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, Łukasz Garczewski wrote:

> On 2/7/07, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
>> There has been work in other communities regarding distinguishing between
>> "official" and open-use community logos.  For instance, you can see
>> Debian's dual logos here:
>>     http://www.debian.org/logos/  [1]
>
> And we have our own open-use community logo, although not widely
> recognized yet. Please take a look at:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikimedia_Community_Logos

Since we also have the benefit of an official Foundation logo, perhaps
the project logos can themselves be open-use.  What are the problems we
are trying to avoid, and what things that we want are being held back
due to licensing issues?

For the latter point, there is a joy of creativity and
project-identification when a WikiProject develops its own visual
identity, whether that is in the form of style guidelines, unified
template or infobox format, or icons and logos.  And there is a wider
remix culture around a project that is encouraged by incorporating
community icons into images and other media in innovative ways.

SJ