[Foundation-l] Lack of Image Dumps

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 03:19:19 UTC 2007

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> On 2/8/07, Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com> wrote:
>> The worse news is that the dumps would be so huge that no one will
>> actually be able to get or use them anyway. ;)
>
> Not true.. Plus it'll be much easier than downloading each of the
> images one by one.. especially as long as we still are returning zero
> byte content-length replies sometimes.

Agreed.  Many people would be interested in a full media dump.  Once I
have a dump at hand, I would be happy to provide dumps on disk via snail
mail, for the cost of the disk -- there is certainly a demand for the
material.  And I hope that we can develop a network of people willing to
do this.

A while ago I started a page to request dumps; it hasn't gotten any use
yet, but perhaps this will change as dumps grow:
      http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_dumps

SJ