[Foundation-l] precisions about the recent WMF "fair use" decision

Yonatan Horan yonatanh at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 01:12:13 UTC 2007

It isn't quite WMF's fault that other countries don't release their pictures
under free licenses (or like the US into the public domain).  You could just
as well say that because enwp uses English sources it is biased towards the
US\UK and therefore is not NPOV. No encyclopedia in the world is NPOV going
by the same standards because they don't really go to North Korea and take
photos there nor do they get a North Korean writer to write some parts of
articles regarding NK. NPOV is the sublime ideal we should all strive for
but in order to further one ideal, you sometimes have to give up another and
in this case when you look at both sides I think it's a no-brainer.

Yonatan