[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies (some important points)

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 00:10:03 UTC 2007

> On 2/8/07, Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> > If anything, I think it very sad that the biggest Wikipedia is
> > condemning itself to be distributed "as such" only in countries where
> > the fair use doctrine exists, and bars itself from being distributed
> > in the rest of the world.
> [snip]
>
> I will offer you an interesting point for consideration here:
>
> If and only if we are really good at only allowing "fair use" when no
> free image is possible (i.e. only after we've tried to get the
> copyright holder to make a release, only after we're sure that no
> Wikipedian can create a comparable image)

Maybe I'm an eternal optimist. But frankly, in the long run, I don't
think that there is going to be ANYTHING worth mentionning in an
encyclopedia which will not provide at least one kind of media that is
free.

Because if we are true to our mission, we're going to fight to make
these things free. Images from space, images from artworks, images
from celebrities (well, for those we can already all turn into
paparazzi).

So yes, I have no doubt that one day we will be the "free encyclopedia".

And definitely, I agree that cooperation is the only way forward.
We've got time. Don't we?

Delphine
--
~notafish