[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies

Claudio Mastroianni gattonero at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 23:26:38 UTC 2007

Il giorno 09/feb/07, alle ore 00:15, Gregory Maxwell ha scritto:

> Yes, although I should make sure to be really clear.  (2) is only okay
> if (4) would be possible. The reason for this is that we want the
> material submitted to itwikis to be maximally free in the rest of the
> world.

That's silly. Fair use is not maximally free "in the rest of the
world". Fair use is "maximally free" only in such countries where
fair use/fair dealing exist.
Which are...? United States, UK, Canada, New Zealand, Australia,
India... Commonwealth?

But not in Czech. Nor in Nederlands. And the other countries?
Why are you talking "for the rest of the world" is fair use is usable
only by fair-use-countries?
Are you fooling us?

> We don't care about only the US, we also care about the whole world..

Again.

> Countries that I believe have explicit law similar in intent to fair
> use include Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Germany,
> Hungary, Japan, Poland, Sweeden, United Kingdom.. and pretty much
> every place that was at one point a UK holding.

Again.

> Of course, it's also
> the case that it exists in Italian law too, but people here are
> insisting that it only applies to text. This doesn't appear to be the
> case to me, but I will not argue.

Again, you're stating that you understand italian laws better than
italian people.
Are you crazy or what? Who do you think you are?
Sorry Mister, but I and "people who are insisting" MAYBE know our
laws better than you.

Gatto Nero