[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies (some important points)

Marco Chiesa chiesa.marco at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 18:41:02 UTC 2007

Kat Walsh wrote:

>Ah, good, I was writing a response to that post but it seems better
>coming from another Italian. :-)
>
>This is a fair statement, and this sort of discussion is what you
>should have on itwiki to determine what you ultimately decide to
>allow... it is not perhaps so bad as some are thinking and I don't
>know that I am the one to convince you.
>
>-Kat

Thanks Kat. Of course the itwiki community is not just composed by Gatto
Nero and me, and to be honest I haven't read yet what's going on on our
Village Pump. Here I'm just representing myself.Also, I'm looking
forward to see the Board decision on the limits of the
Wikimedia-accepted fair use, with possibly some estimate on how many
fairuse images on en.wiki will be deleted because of this decision. The
Italian community may find the policy more acceptable if they're made
aware that, say, 50% of the images tagged as fair use on en.wiki won't
be accepted any more. When Jimbo recently wrote that we should get rid
of  non-free material, many a voice was saying: "Hey, why shouldn't we
used stuff we worked hard to get permission when en.wiki uses
{{fairuse}} for the same purpose?"

Marco (Cruccone)