[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies (some important points)

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 17:06:06 UTC 2007

On 2/8/07, Marco Chiesa <chiesa.marco at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with this view, personally I think it satisfies both the needs
> of being free in the US (because of the fair use) and being acceptable
> in those unfortunate countries where you need permission. But, ehm, in
> the previous email you said that you shouldn't say that the author
> authorizes every ND or NC use, so where are we going to write that we
> have the explicit permission to use that media?

You make a fair point.

Which is why my personal views are my personal views, and they are not
policy. They are sometimes not completely considered.

However, I firmly believe that we should probably avoid getting
permission/nc/nd on most projects (although perhaps not itwiki)
because of the large number of places where we can use fair use and
the risk for making the impression that these limited permissions are
what we want.  If at some point in time someone convinces me that
there is not a parallel to fair use in the effective law (i.e. the
actions of the courts) in a substantial part of the world, then I
would probably change my mind.