[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies (some important points)

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 16:54:03 UTC 2007

I am not responding to the rest of your email right now. Not out of
disrespect but instead because I think we can go much further once one
misunderstanding is cleared up.

On 2/8/07, Claudio Mastroianni <gattonero at gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's repeat.
> Images with permission? Not allowed.
> Fair use images? Allowed.

Images which would be fairuse/dealing in places where that is
permitted (which is far more than 4 or 5 countries) plus permission?
Allowed.

Wikimedia is an international project. Where the laws of nations
differ we must deal with a few hard constraints (the laws of where the
WMF itself legally operates) and otherwise try to strike a balance
which makes the most sense in most of the world.

Yes, the foundation sees permission as more restrictive than fair
dealing, because it is for the foundations larger goals. Itwiki is
still able to accept permission, it only must also make an effort to
make sure these images would be fair use/fair dealing in the places
where these concepts are codified in law.

Again, what do you lose?