[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies (some important points)

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 16:38:09 UTC 2007

On 2/8/07, Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com> wrote:
> If every ND license is such a failure, we are truly in a horrible state,
> because the text of the GFDL itself is under an ND license, and thus we are
> not allowed to put it on a Wikipedia page, except for the fact that we
> must....

OMG! The wikipedia logo is non-free too!!!!

To every rule there is exceptions, but yet we can still say that a
rule is bad. It is understood by most reasonable people that saying
that something is bad does not imply that every single instance is bad
when considered from all possible perspectives.

... and plus, many people would prefer the FSF licenses were
themselves more permissively licensed. Hopefully in the future we will
advocate to the FSF that they find terms which preserve their interest
(people making an infinite number of confusing license forks is bad),
without denying the world the freedom to modify.