[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies (some important points)

Claudio Mastroianni gattonero at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 15:54:53 UTC 2007

Il giorno 08/feb/07, alle ore 16:41, Gregory Maxwell ha scritto:

> So you think Wikipedia must reproduce whole unabridged and high
> resolution copies of copyrighted works which suitable for replacing
> the commercial value of these works, in order to educate people?
>
> If that is your view I really believe it is mistaken.

It's starting to be tiring.
I *don't* think we should admit "images with permission" AND "fair
use images" TOO.
I *do* think that is utterly stupid to make a not-existent
distinction between the freedom of a permission image and a fair use
image. Cause they're similarly unfree. Worst: it seems that fair use
images are less free than permission images.

Second.

Your references to an italian law was uncorrect.
What you're talking about is "diritto di citazione" ("right of
quotation"), that's not appliable to images.
What are we gonna going to upload? An eye of the Guernica paint?

> This
> includes providing only crops or low resolution versions
> ('fragments')...

Low resolution versions are not considered "fragments". Not in Italy,
at least.

> The statement under Italian law is not all that different from the
> laws of other nations. Nor should it be, since all people everywhere
> have the same need to discuss and educate people about copyrighted
> works.

I continue thinking that you're talking about something that you're
not able to catch in his totality, I'm sorry.

Gatto Nero