[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies

geni geniice at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 13:20:52 UTC 2007

On 2/8/07, Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's your interpretation, not mine.

It is an issue that has been argued over for some time. For CC:
"Derivative Work"

means any work created by the editing, modification, adaptation or
translation of the Work in any media.

Resizing is a modification So while the intent may not have been to
rule out resizing the text of the licence would appear to do so (why
is it that the legal text of CC licences gets more choppy with every
generation?)

>And anyway, making a derivative work
> from a fair use image is even less possible - I cannot even take it out of
> the page, so resizing is fully impossible.

That would depend on the image and the context.

--
geni