[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies

Gunnar René Øie gunnarre at nvg.ntnu.no
Thu Feb 8 11:28:49 UTC 2007

Den 8. feb. 2007 kl. 12.17 skrev Andre Engels:

> 2007/2/8, Gunnar René Øie <gunnarre at nvg.ntnu.no>:
>
>> Because if the fair use claim is valid and strong enough, then
>> commercial re-users can use those fair-use images. Non-commercial and
>> "Wikipedia only"? Not so.
>>

> Can they? The en-wp fair use rationale states that it is valid fair
> use
> "On the English-language Wikipedia hosted on servers in the United
> States by
> the non-profit Wikimedia Foundation."

And when you hack that part away, and deprecate those templates and
rationales that only apply to Wikipedia and non-commercial enteties,
you're left with those that would apply to all re-users in countries
with a similar fair use doctrine as the US.

> And what about ND images? If there is an image that is fair use on
> a page,
> and the rationale is strong enough to allow me to use it, then
> surely I
> would be allowed to use an ND image at the same place.

I assume you mean non-comm.

Yes, that is true, but then you're tagging it as fair use, not as non-
comm.