[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies

Claudio Mastroianni gattonero at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 11:00:29 UTC 2007

Il giorno 08/feb/07, alle ore 11:51, David Strauss ha scritto:

> I think Erik means that the Italian wiki is free to 1) restrict
> acceptable content further than Wikimedia requires, or 2) find ways
> within Italian and U.S. law (combined) to accept material under
> copyright exceptions like fair use. (Yes, I know Italy does not have
> "fair use.")
>
> Content that is non-commercial-use-only or specially licensed to
> Wikipedia or Wikimedia is counter to Wikimedia's mission of free
> knowledge.

I - as many othe wikipedians who are shocked and "a bit angry" about
WMF decision - think that fair use is as counter to wikimedia's
mission as images with permissions.

And I - as other wikipedians who are shocked bla bla bla - think that
saying "You're allowed to do something that's impossible to do" is
just like treat us like fools.

I still can't understand how's been possible to state two
constrasting statement in the same letter, as "we accept only free
media for all users and purposes" and "we accept fair use, who's not
*for all users and purposes*".

Reporting an it.wikipedian's opinion: "Foundation members should work
in politics, if they are so able to do this"