[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies

Mark Wagner carnildo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 09:05:24 UTC 2007

Claudio Mastroianni <gattonero at gmail.com> wrote:
> And I'm sorry to say that again: the italian community is the only
> one to be affected by this decision, 'cause nothing will change for
> en.wiki.
> Here again, Foundation is en.centric...

Nothing will change for en.wiki?  Hardly.  If I'm reading this
correctly, most of the images used under a claim of "fair use" are no
longer allowed, and we'll need to figure out how to delete some
200,000 images, as well as how to educate thousands of users who are
used to uploading those sorts of images.

Further, it may disallow images that are public domain because they
were published in the United States prior to 1923: such images are
extremely common on en.wiki because "published before 1923" is much
easier to determine than "author died before 1936".

--
Mark
[[en:User:Carnildo]]