[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies

Claudio Mastroianni gattonero at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 07:16:46 UTC 2007

Il giorno 08/feb/07, alle ore 03:57, Kat Walsh ha scritto:

> Greetings!
> A formal declaration in the form of a Board resolution has not yet
> been made and will be forthcoming; however, we hope that this longer
> message will provide the explanation behind the resolution. The
> resolution will seek to clarify something that has been true for some
> time but may not have been stated in a clear enough form as guidance
> for the various communities to follow.
> [CUT]
> Since individual projects have differing community standards and there
> are potentially legal issues in different jurisdictions, individual
> projects may choose to be more restrictive than Foundation policy
> requires, such as the many projects that do not allow "fair use" media
> at all. However, no project may have content policies less restricive,
> or that allow licenses other than those allowed on Wikimedia Commons
> and limited fair use.

Nice. As far as I've understood, Board decided so:

"With permission? Not admitted.
Fair use? Ehr... it could be... maybe... it depends... Oh, ok,
admitted."

Maybe I've understood wrong? Cause if you say that media with
permission "need to be phased out" (with no expection) and fair use
media *should* not be used... It seems so.

And I'm sorry to say that again: the italian community is the only
one to be affected by this decision, 'cause nothing will change for
en.wiki.
Here again, Foundation is en.centric...

Nice and very fair, again.
I'll inform my community.