[Foundation-l] Comparison of new user welcome efforts across projects

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 05:58:10 UTC 2007

On 04/02/07, Ashar Voultoiz <hashar at altern.org> wrote:
> Brianna Laugher wrote:
> <snip>
> > I am involved with the welcoming efforts on Commons, where we have a
> > bot that places a {{welcome}} message on all newly registered users
> > who have made at least one edit or upload. We invite users to give
> > feedback on the message, which you can read here:
> > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:Welcome_log
> <snip>
>
> Maybe it could be a feature in MediaWiki. I am not sure we want to
> create a dummy page each time a user create an account through.

Yeah. We looked at the new user log and there were plenty of accounts
that were registered and then never used. Maybe they just wanted to
get rid of the site notice. ;) It seemed like a waste to welcome those
people who might never return, so we made it after one edit/upload.
Although, it only takes one, to make a mistake. :)

cheers
Brianna