[Foundation-l] Fair Use (again)

teun spaans teun.spaans at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 13:09:14 UTC 2007

Mark,

neither of the three examples shows that cnn uses fair use. The credits seem
to refer to the story. For example:
"By Deb Krajnak
CNN.com Arts & Style Editor"

probably just means that Deb is an CNN Arts & style editor.

It doesnt say that the image is there under fair use, it doesnt say it isnt.
It is perfectly possible that CNN purchased the photo from a photographer,
and that the photographer paid the copyrights to the Picasso heirs. Or
perhaps he didnt, but then he might get into trouble.

It is no proof that CNN uses "fair use".

kind regards.
teun spaans

PS
The best course of action is to keep to our goals: create free intellectual
properties. Fair usage does not qualify as such.