[Foundation-l] [Wikipedia-l] Moldavian

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Thu Feb 1 09:28:20 UTC 2007

geni wrote:
> On 1/31/07, David Monniaux <David.Monniaux at free.fr> wrote:
>
>> OTRS has received a request for this wiki to be taken down, stating that
>> Moldovian is just Romanian written in cyrillic, in a way imposed by the
>> Communists. (I'm not saying this is true, I have no opinion on the
>> issue, I'm just reporting.)
>>

> Not that simple see:
>
> [[Transnistria]]

At the very least it's a problematic name.  The Republic of Moldova
decrees that Latin is the official script of Moldovan, while their
breakaway republic of Transnitria decrees that it's Cyrillic.  If we're
hosting one in Cyrillic and giving it the "Moldovan" ISO language code,
we seem to be taking sides in that dispute---and what's more, taking
sides with the unrecognized breakaway republic and against the
internationally recognized nation.  That seems like an awkard position
to be taking.

-Mark