[Foundation-l] About transparency

Derrick Farnell derrick.farnell at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 09:00:31 UTC 2007

Thanks for explaining all of that Florence.

Re ads, I think showing the amount needed to keep the projects going in the
fundraising banner would have helped greatly, as a motivator. Surely, if the
banner showed that the amount raised so far was below that needed, then this
would encourage more donations. As it is, no one has any idea, from the
banner, that the amount raised so far falls well short. But I guess this has
already been discussed.

Re 'radical transparency', I understand each of your points, but I do not
accept that it is literally impossible ("I am not *presenting* you with a
*decision* of non-radical transparency. I am telling you that we can not
provide radical transparency anymore."). I think that a person's perception
of possibility of something depends on how much they want it. As I say,
'radical transparency' fits perfectly with the radical collaboration model
of these projects.

Also, you say the board dictates the general strategy of the Foundation. To
me, this kind of decision simply *must* be made by the community as a whole,
given that the projects are the product of the community.

I could go on (and on), but I think I've said enough in this thread now, so
I'd better stop!

Derrick Farnell