[Foundation-l] wikicouncil

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Sun Dec 30 02:42:01 UTC 2007

Alison writes:

>  Setting aside for the moment my concerns that Erik is writing
> opinions
> here now that he has been appointed DepED, a clear conflict of
> involvement
> if not of interest ...

In my own experience of nonprofits, it has not been considered
problematic for staff members to express opinions on matters of
policy, including organizational governance.  At the Electronic
Frontier Foundation, at the Center for Democracy and Technology, and
at Public Knowledge -- the three nonprofits I worked at before coming
to Wikimedia Foundation -- it was considered a benefit, and not a
conflict, for staff members to offer input about how they believed the
organizations should run. I would hate it if we felt we had to depart
from that tradition here.

So, my belief is not only that it isn't a problem for Erik to offer
his opinion, but also that it's a sign of organizational health that
he can do so.  I also think that it helps the community to hear how
staff members think about such issues -- certainly more helpful than
if the staff feels compelled to keep quiet about them.  (It's also
helpful to staff to hear where the community disagrees with staff
opinions -- but we can't know when such disagreements occur unless
staff are free to offer opinions.)

I hope my own opinion is taken in the spirit in which it's offered!

--Mike