[Foundation-l] wikicouncil

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 29 19:38:12 UTC 2007

Erik Moeller wrote:
> On 12/29/07, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I will take as an example the recent resolution passed by the board
>> regarding the license under which our projects are running. My memory is
>> that you and Jimbo were the primary actors of the license reform.
>
> The license migration resolution was one of the most frustrating
> experiences for me as a Board member: When the three people tasked to
> look into the issue couldn't agree, there was no clear path to any
> kind of decision, and what followed was a debate that was only
> concluded with a resolution due to attrition. The last thing it would
> lead me to argue is that the current Board should ever attempt such a
> process again.
>
> Should a decision like the licensing reform have been made by
> - the Board
> - the Executive Director in consultation with her staff
> - a Wikicouncil
> - the entire community?
>
> I think that question should be open to debate -- and to me the answer
> could very well be, in future: "The ED in consultation with staff,
> experts, and Wikicouncil members" or "The community through a
> project-wide vote".

According the bylaws, the board is in charge of strategic decisions, and
the staff is here to implement.

So, the answer is "the board in consultation with wikicouncil members"
or "the board through a project-wide vote".

Examples of decisions I see as strategic

* changing the license of any of our projects
* opening new projects
* closing projects
* changing names of projects
* giving exclusive rights on our trademarks to anyone
* putting advertisement on our projects
* make access to our content not free of charge
* stop providing dumps of our content

And a few others

Ant

(jeee, 6)