[Foundation-l] wikicouncil

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 29 16:24:41 UTC 2007

Erik Moeller wrote:
> On 12/29/07, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> One way out of this is to gather a group of representatives, in the same
>> way that parliaments can represent citizens, and give to this group a
>> certain authority to make decisions on behalf of the wikimedians. There
>> are many cases right now where either these decisions are made by the
>> board (and I do not think the board should do that), or by random
>> sub-groups, or by ... no one.
>
> If the Board should not make community-relevant decisions, why does it
> need so many community representatives? If the primary function of the
> Board is corporate oversight and fundraising, wouldn't it be wise to
> design a Board that actually serves that purpose?

I am not aware it is written anywhere that the board primary function is
corporate oversight and fundraising. It strikes me as not being the case
at all.

I will take as an example the recent resolution passed by the board
regarding the license under which our projects are running. My memory is
that you and Jimbo were the primary actors of the license reform.

If the board can make such a decision, then you can not claim WMF is
primarily corporate stuff, and our board should primarily be populated
by community members, rather than by outsiders.

Ant

PS: that makes 5. No more comments until tomorrow ;-)