[Foundation-l] A dangerous precedent

Nikola Smolenski smolensk at eunet.yu
Sat Dec 29 08:40:46 UTC 2007

On Thursday 27 December 2007 21:42, Milos Rancic wrote:
> On 12/27/07, Daniel Arnold <arnomane at gmx.de> wrote:
> > This is *only* about the way choosen to create the Volapük Wikipedia.
>
> Besides my comment on Meta: Generated articles are more then valid
> (please, add sources in all articles!). I may see that one or
> combination of the next may be the reasons for demanding such nonsense
> action: (1) someone is afraid with so much articles, (2) someone
> doesn't like to see that a small community is able to make the same
> number of articles as big ones, (3) someone is preparing field for
> removing all bot-generated articles and forbidding such actions. In
> all cases, please go firstly to the English, French, Italian and
> Polish Wikipedias.

I am not sure if this is the right place and time, but I am using the
opportunity to advertise what I believe is the solution for problems of this
kind. It's called Data Extension and could be seen at
http://www.rastko.net/~nikola/ .

With it, it is possible to effectively have articles about various topics
similar to bot-generated articles without them actually being in the database.
It is possible to kickstart a small Wikipedia by translating a handful of
templates. And, it is possible to further expand the articles, as it is with
bot generated articles.

Is someone interested to work with me in order to improve it further? I'd add
that Serbian Wikipedian community might be willing to test it.

(And, if my opinion is needed: I don't think that Volapuk Wikipedia should be
closed. Yes, only a few speakers, but a historically important conlang.)