[Foundation-l] Erik's New Job

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Wed Dec 19 20:07:15 UTC 2007

The Cunctator writes:

>  But please, don't ask for our harmony, trust, generosity, support,
> and
> kindness.
>
> Earn it.

This is a fair point, so long as it is a reciprocal obligation.  I
have great respect for those who have honest criticisms of any process
or decision at the Foundation.  But sometimes those criticisms are
framed in terms of recrimination, bitterness, mean-spiritedness, and
so on. This choice of tone tends to obscure the message.

I think we can all do better.  The way you create generosity is not by
waiting around and demanding that other people be generous towards
you. The way you create kindness is not by insisting that we get none
from you until we "earn it."

I for one try to be generous with everyone here, which I can do until
about the 10th iteration of a sarcastic attack, after which I am
forced to start making jokes. Mostly.

--Mike