[Foundation-l] Czech Wikipedia's EDP and WMF's licensing policy

Petr Kadlec petr.kadlec at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 18:29:36 UTC 2007

Hi!

On 19/12/2007, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton na gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the idea is that we
> only use things under fair use if people reusing our content can do
> the same (which is why we don't accept non-commercial use only, etc.
> licenses).

But the point is that this is true only for reusers in USA. We have
much weaker fair practice provisions in the Czech copyright law in
comparison with the US fair use. Therefore, the attempted EDP of the
Czech Wikipedia requires _both_ fair use acceptability, _and_ a
(non-free) license for the Czech Wikipedia. US reusers can still call
fair use, Czech reusers have never had that option (and won't have).

-- [[cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec]]