[Foundation-l] Erik's New Job

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 16:01:12 UTC 2007

Hoi,
When you argue that the WMF has been good at keeping the servers running,
and when Sue has been hired to make sure that the WMF can do more than that,
she is only starting to do her job. The community elects the board largely.
The board has indicated that it cannot do this job and has been looking with
mixed results for staff that takes over this responsibility.

It has been made clear that Sue has the authority to hire and fire. She has
hired Erik. I am convinced that the board has been consulted on this. I am
equally convinced that all legal and practical hurdles will have been
examined and taken out of the way *before *the announcement was made. Just
consider, when Erik would not be able to take this job for whatever reason,
he would still be entitled to his position as board member. When the
possibility of Erik taking this position would have been made public
knowledge, I am sure that the same noises that are for or against whatever,
would insist that it would be more "transparent" for him to resign his board
position first. Things are not good or they are wrong.

I am sorry for selfish reasons that Erik is taking this job however it is
none of my business where Erik decides to take a job. I expect that Sue will
get a lot of support from Erik and as a result the WMF will get a lot of
more work done. The only practical reservation that I have is that the board
just lost a member who spend a lot of time doing all kinds of jobs for the
foundation. I am not sure that a next board member will not be willing or
able to spend as much time as Erik did. Then again, this is exactly what the
board wants.

Thanks,
    GerardM