[Foundation-l] Conditional approval for many projects

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 12:04:03 UTC 2007

Hoi,
To get rid of some backlog, many projects have been conditionally approved.
The basic rationale for these approvals has been

   - it is an unproblematic existing ISO-639-3 code
   - often there is an existing project Wikipedia already

I am happy to report that many of the follow up projects already have a
quality localisation (above 90%) and I am sure that this can be achieved for
the other secondary languages as well. For the new languages we expect to
have at least the major messages localised. These messages are grouped
together in the BetaWiki so it is easy to check their status. Many of the
MediaWiki extensions can now be localised in MediaWiki as well. So when
particular extensions are to be part of a particular environment, (cite for
instance in Wikiversity ??) it will be good when you check out their
localisation as well.

All the new languages have been prepared in BetaWiki (
http://translatewiki.net/wiki/Main_Page ) BetaWiki is a really lively
environment and every day over 500 localised messages become part of the
core MediaWiki functionality. This means that you can have your own user
interface in all Wikimedia Foundation projects. When you find that your
experience is not as good as on your home wiki, you can help and make a
difference  :)

Thanks,
    GerardM