[Foundation-l] Question about Erik

Michael Snow wikipedia at att.net
Wed Dec 19 04:45:23 UTC 2007

Dan Rosenthal wrote:
> Maybe someone can help answer this question for me.
>
> Erik is now the Deputy ED. I assume that this is the position that was
> budgeted for  in the ED's budget. Erik presumably approved that budget
> while he was on the board. Now he is the recipient of a salary that he
> approved in his board tenure?  Is that correct?

No, I don't believe it is. Perhaps you missed the announcement last week
on this list, which identified Cheryl Steffen as the new personal
assistant to the Executive Director.
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2007-December/035917.html

I'm not sure what part of the budget Erik's salary would come from.
Since the plan is for Brion to report to Erik, perhaps it's anticipated
that it would fall under the "Technology" area. Given the position, it
could also be considered "Finance and Administration", or the budget
might split the assignment of his salary across multiple areas. The
published "planned spending distribution" doesn't go into detail about
individual salaries, nor would it necessarily be expected to.

I also note that the budget was approved October 6, whereas the
resolution appointing Sue as Executive Director (from which Erik recused
himself) was passed November 26. If his new position was offered between
those two dates, then I wouldn't consider it improper for him to have
voted to approve the budget.

--Michael Snow