[Foundation-l] Erik's New Job [OT]

Alison Wheeler wikimedia at alisonwheeler.com
Tue Dec 18 21:41:08 UTC 2007

On Tue, December 18, 2007 21:24, Nathan Awrich wrote:
> I... would really like to know what task it is you were supposed to
> perform!

rofl!

Some of you might recall way back in 1985 or 6 that the Department of
Defence ^W Defense wanted to buy a ton or two of new computers - around
US$30 billion worth (and in those days a billion dollars was worth a
billion dollars!) of kit?

I was asked to put together that bid and consult on the requirements. The
timescale was 3-6 months but had to start within that few days if it was
to have any hope of being done on time (which is why an apartment had been
found for me in Washington, a Lincoln town car placed at my disposal, and
a desk was waiting for me the following week!)

Obviously, the mainframe company that had engaged me didn't get the
business ...

Alison