[Foundation-l] Erik's New Job

Alison Wheeler wikimedia at alisonwheeler.com
Tue Dec 18 21:20:26 UTC 2007

On Tue, December 18, 2007 19:36, Kim Bruning wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 01:03:44PM -0500, Chad wrote:
>> I see what you're saying. At the same time, I'm wondering if it is legal
>> for Erik to work within the United States. Nothing on the qualifications
>> for a work visa page seems to jump out at me, unless I'm missing
>>> something.

> That's a fairly serious allegation to make in post 9/11 America. What
> makes it especially good is the fact that you're looking at the wrong
> page entirely

I had read the issue as being about the 'not a US resident' problem. Some
years ago I was engaged via a major company to do some work for the US
DoD, however the State Dept wouldn't let me into the country (or rather
grant me the appropriate visa) because "{I] might be taking away a job
from an American; we need to see evidence that a full and exhaustive
search was made for an American who could capably do this job before they
can appoint [me]". Because my flight, apartment and desk were waiting for
me in three days time, and the timescale for the work had to start then
and couldn't be delayed, the whole task got cancelled (ie there were five
people in the world who could even 8do* the job and I was the only one
available at short notice but to get verifiable paperwork on that would
haev taken a month or two)

I don't believe there was a personal allegation against Erik or Germans as
a nationality ...

As to whether such visa possibilities have been confirmed in this
instance, I have no knowledge.

Alison