[Foundation-l] Wikimedia/Wikipedia trademarks?

Nathan Awrich nawrich at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 21:01:07 UTC 2007

I'm less interested in the issue as it relates to fair use (which, by
its nature, doesn't require input from the WMF) but commercial or
other use (a la Wikipedia Review, if they sell ads - do they?). The
blanket permission is, as David notes, convenience rather than a
requirement. But if the WMF doesn't protect its trademarks, then
someone could dump the software and database and set up a new site and
call it 'Wikipedia.'