[Foundation-l] Erik's New Job

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 18 17:52:08 UTC 2007

--- Chad <innocentkiller at gmail.com> wrote:

> Allow me to be the first to say "What the hell?" Am
> I the only one who
> is absolutely outraged by this? We hear Erik call
> for transparency and
> openness, yet he gets hired for a position there was
> no announcement
> about? I call BS.
>
> -Chad H.

While "outraged" is rather strong, I am also surprised
by the situation considering the previous discussion
about the problematic conflict in interest that would
arise if a board member were to be hired by WMF
immediately after their departure.  [1]  I suppose the
exact nature of Erik's hire shows that such
discussions on this mailing rather than being taken to
heart as feedback from the community about the spirit
of WMF's operations are instead being used as an
outline for how to game the community.  After all Erik
was not hired by *the board*  So I suppose all these
previously expressed objections just don't apply in
this case ;)

Birgitte SB

[1]Emails agreeing that an immediate hire of a former
board member could be a problematic conflict of
interest and supporting the adoption of some kind of
guidelines to guard against this
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2007-July/031814.html
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2007-July/031814.html
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2007-July/031846.html
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2007-July/031867.html
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2007-July/031908.html

Sole email disagreeing this kind of hiring would be
problematic
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2007-July/031862.html