[Foundation-l] Wikimedia/Wikipedia trademarks?

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 13:36:00 UTC 2007

Nathan Awrich wrote:
> Sure, my fault for not being clear and perhaps not understanding fully
> the structure of the relationships involved. Maybe it would be more
> clear to say
>
> 1. What special rights do Wikimedia chapters get regarding the
> trademarks of the US Wikimedia Foundation?'
>
> 2. Is the use of WMF marks by WMF local chapters governed by
> indemnification agreements?
>
> 3. Is the extent of WMF exposure to the various state speech and
> publication laws known in areas outside of the US and Europe, and do
> we actively try to adhere to local standards when we know them? (I'm
> reminded of Yahoo and China here).
>
> 4. How effective is OTRS at policing legal issues in languages with few members?
>
> 5. Has WMF had any trademark infringement/misuse issues so far?
>
> 6. If the marks of the WMF are registered to the WMF to the extent
> possible, is there a mechanism for revoking license to those marks if
> a Wikimedia chapter violates the spirit of WMF?

I'd add, how are presumed trademark infringements handled?
I found weeks ago a paper advertisement on which the character was
browsing wikipedia (identifiable by the logo).
IMHO they'd need WMF permission to do so but maybe they have! How could
i know? There must be a better way than snail mail to the US (suggested
by cary).