[Foundation-l] [Announcement] update in board of trustees membership

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 18 00:08:31 UTC 2007

Nathan Awrich wrote:
> In the interests of not letting this thread die:
>
> I'd suggest that Wikimedia look at similar (as close as possible)
> foundations in the United States, and possibly elsewhere as well, for
> ideas on how to move forward.

Actually, we already did that to a certain extent. Mike drafted us a
fairly long document on the topic last summer.

  There is no reason to reinvent the wheel
> when you have a design that works - Wikimedia adopted a fairly
> conventional structure for its board, and it should continue to rely
> on governance concepts that have been proven. Organizations like
> Mozilla, EPIC, EFF, the ACLU and others might be targets not only for
> adapting their governance style but also for attracting outside
> members of the Wikimedia Board of Trustees. Additionally, you could
> investigate recruiting Board members from academic and encyclopedic
> organizations with similar missions.

Some previous board members were very insistant that we should primarily
recruit from the community.

> A sensible structure has to be one that values expertise and maintains
> the centrality of the Wikimedia community, as well as represents the
> interests of chapters outside en.wiki. I think you could achieve this
> simply by expanding the board and assigning decision making authority
> to different committees - i.e. audit, governance, executive,
> financial.

Agreed. Recent development lead the board to consider expanding itself
This is currently under discussion.
Note that we already have a beginning of committee structures, with the
audit com, the ED com, etc...
(I am a bit perplex to see you refer to "chapters outside en.wiki, but I
take it as a typo type of thing).

ant

  I think this is a fairly standard Board design, and I'd be