[Foundation-l] Fwd: for an academic endorsement ofwikipediaarticles?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 23:26:25 UTC 2007

On 17/12/2007, Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org> wrote:
> Thomas Dalton wrote:
> On 17/12/2007, Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org> wrote:
> > Thomas Dalton wrote:
> >
> > >We're not talking about referencing Wikipedia in an academic paper,
> > >we're talking about publishing a Wikipedia article in an academic
> > >journal.
> >
> > You know, to my way of thinking the best way to achieve something like
> that
> > would be to explain how to fact-check the article and find citeable
> sources.
> > An academic "how-to" on using Wikipedia.
>
> Aimed at who?

> To my way of thinking, aimed at academics who dismiss Wikipedia or seek to
> outright ban it, as well as students who might be tempted to cite Wikipedia
> because they don't know better.
>
> Not perhaps most appropriate for an academic journal, but perhaps the "knol"
> on Wikipedia could teach people how to use it. :)

Ah, I see. I wasn't understanding you. You're suggesting publishing an
article *about* Wikipedia, rather than *from* Wikipedia. That's quite
a different suggestion. I don't think that's the kind of thing an
academic journal would be interested in, but it's worth having on
Wikipedia itself somewhere.