[Foundation-l] Fwd: for an academic endorsement of wikipedia articles?

Dirk Riehle dirk at riehle.org
Mon Dec 17 23:00:41 UTC 2007

> We're not talking about referencing Wikipedia in an academic paper,
> we're talking about publishing a Wikipedia article in an academic
> journal.

That wasn't exactly clear to me from the original request:

> I was thinking about the fact that wikipedia was
> still a tricky subject regarding its use for referencing in the academic world.
> I was wondering if it would not be possible to obtain from official academic
> bodies a sort of endorsement that would qualify a wikipedia article for
> "official" academic referencing?

Why would you want to take a Wikipedia article and publish it in a journal?

Conceivably that could be done in journals focussed on surveys, but
most rules are stacked against you/WP.

Personally, I would rather go to the web and take a look at the original myself.

There may be some value of validating the article through journal
publication, but honestly, I'm not sure about the value of that. I for
one haven't read a journal focussed on surveys for a long time. At
least in computer science, there way too many write-only journals and
conferences anyway.

Dirk

--
Phone: +1 650 215 3459