[Foundation-l] Is popularity a good thing for us?

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Mon Dec 17 17:45:22 UTC 2007

On Dec 17, 2007 12:35 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Wikinews articles for stories that develop over a long period of time
> > (with 2 or 3 days or maybe even shorter constituting a long period of
> > time) tend to be incomplete and broken up compared to Wikipedia
> > articles on those stories.
>
> Very true. Wikinews will have a new article as each bit of info comes
> out, whereas Wikipedia will have on article on the whole story. That's
> as it should be. You say that the Wikipedia version would be useful
> even just a couple of days into the story, but that doesn't take into
> account that fact that the Wikipedia article at that stage will, most
> likely, just be a series of "As of..." paragraphs, so is little
> different to the Wikinews coverage.

Interesting hypothesis.  You knew I was going to test it, right?
Taking a random selection from about the middle of April 18th:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Virginia_Tech_massacre&oldid=123806652

"As of" only appears once.  "As of April 18, 2007, Cho's motives for
the killings remain unclear."