[Foundation-l] Is popularity a good thing for us?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Dec 17 09:08:51 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> Please add more. Is there a case for trying to make ourselves less
>> popular so we can get on with work?
>>
> IMO, no. There is no point making content if it isn't going to be
> used. We talk about reuse all the time, but really, it's just regular
> use which is most important. It's important that we support reuse, but
> by far the best way for us to spread knowledge is simply by having
> people read en.wikipedia.org (etc.). There are a lot of downsides to
> this popularity, but since it's the whole point of our existence, we
> just have to live with it.
Writers can only hope that their books will be read.  Writers write
because they have something to say.  They have no way of knowing ahead
of time whether a writing will be popular.  If they let themselves be
distracted by egotistical consideration the writing will suffer; they
might as well be writing Harlequin Romances.

I see no basis whatsoever for your notion that popularity is the whole
point of our existence.  Where is your evidence for that sweeping
statement?  This doesn't change the fact that Wikipedia has become
tremendously popular, but let's not confuse ends and means.

Ec